My Sewer Service

What if I have a sewer problem?

Any problems that occur within the private portion of the sanitary sewer system are the responsibility of the property owner.  However, when a problem does occur, please call the Public Works Department at 651-792-7004.  Staff can check the main line to make sure the source of the problem is not in the City’s main line.  For information on how to protect your home or business from a sewer backup, see our sewer backup brochure.

How much of the sewer line am I responsible for?

Per City Code, “It shall be the responsibility of the owner or occupant to maintain the sewer service from the main sewer into the house or building.” (Ord. 532, 3-20-67) (Ord 1590 10-12-2020)

If you need assistance with repairs, the Center for Energy and the Center for Energy and Environment (CEE) has some programs that may apply to some residents. Please contact the CEE for additional information and they can help homeowners determine which program is best, depending on the specifics of the property and/or owners.

Understanding Roseville’s Sanitary Sewer Backup Cleanup Assistance Policy

To protect the health and safety of residents, the Roseville City Council has approved a “Residential Sanitary Sewer Backup Cleanup Assistance Policy” to provide for timely cleanup in the event of a sewer backup.  If City staff verifies the backup is due to blockage in the City mainline, the City will arrange for prompt wet extraction, removal and disposal of carpeting and carpet padding, drywall, other wall materials, insulation, and sanitizing and deodorizing of floors and walls, as needed after a sanitary sewer backup up to a maximum cost of $5,000.  This work must be done by the City’s contractor.  Property owners who qualify for this City-provided clean up service will be required to sign a Cleanup Agreement prior to the City's cleanup contractor commencing work.

Sewage Backup

Infrequently, a blockage in a sewer line will result in a backup of sanitary sewage into a private home.  If you experience a sewer backup, the City encourages you to take the following steps:

  • Call the Public Works Department immediately at 651-792-7004 to report the sewer backup.  Business hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  If after hours, call 651-767-0640.  The City will work with you to identify the location of the blockage. 
  • If the blockage is in the City’s main sewer line, the City will clear the blockage and, with the property owner’s approval, contact a cleaning contractor to begin cleanup as soon as possible.  (This policy does not provide for City payment of expenses if property owners choose to arrange for or perform the cleanup activity themselves.)
  • If  the blockage is determined to be in the private portion of the sewer system, the property owner is responsible to make arrangements and pay for the blockage to be cleared and for cleaning.
  • If you have homeowners’ insurance, or another type of property insurance coverage, notify your insurance agent of the sewer backup.
  • To minimize damage and negative health effects, arrangements for cleaning should be made as soon as possible.

The City is not automatically responsible when a sewer backup occurs.  A sewer system is not a closed system and there are many reasons for backups that are beyond the City’s control.  For example, inappropriate items, such as grease, diapers, and disposable wipes dumped into the system can create a blockage.  Another common reason for backups is tree roots growing into the lines.

Each year, about one-third of the City’s sanitary sewer mains are inspected and cleaned.  Mains requiring a higher level of maintenance are cleaned annually or semi-annually.  This routine maintenance helps to prevent blockages and sewer backups.

The City’s action in undertaking or executing this policy does not constitute and shall not be interpreted as an admission of liability or fault.  As benefit of this policy, property owners may use their homeowners insurance policy to pay for damages, rather than cleanup costs.  Property owners may also submit a claim for damages for consideration by the City’s insurance carrier by calling the City’s Finance Director at 651-792-7031. 

View the “Residential Sanitary Sewer Backup Cleanup Assistance Policy” here.  If you have further questions, please call the Public Works Department at 651-792-7004.

Prevention Devices

The policy also allows for reimbursement to residential property owners for the purchase of backflow prevention devices up to $300.  The reimbursement does not cover installation and proof of purchase is required.  There are several types of backflow prevention devices and it is recommended to consult your local plumber for further information.

What should I avoid flushing down my sewer?

A Drain Guide has been created to explain what you should and shouldn’t flush down your sewer.